It is important parents have opportunity to review LanguageScreen’s privacy notice if they wish to. We’ve prepared proforma letters for you to send to the parents of your reception pupils. Please select the option appropriate for your school:
- DfE funded 2022/23 programme - Proforma letter for schools newly registered on the NELI programme this year - schools registered via the teachneli.org website - which includes additional information about Nuffield and DfE – download your proforma letter as a PDF here or as a Word Document here
- DfE funded 2021/22 programme - Proforma letter for schools registered on the NELI programme last year - schools registered via the teachneli.org website - which includes additional information about Nuffield and DfE – download your proforma letter as a PDF here or as a Word Document here
- DfE funded 2020/21 programme - Proforma letter for schools registered on the first NELI programme in 2020/21 - download your proforma letter as a PDF here or as a Word Document here
- All other schools – schools who registered for NELI outside the DfE rollout, such as schools in Scotland or Wales, private schools and others not eligible for the DfE programme – download your proforma letter as a PDF here or as a Word Document here.
The letters provide key information about the DfE initiative, NELI programme and LanguageScreen, including a link to the LanguageScreen privacy notice, which explains what pupil data will be collected and how it will be shared.
Please do not amend the proforma letter to give parents opt-in or opt-out rights as these change the lawful GDRP basis for the use of LanguageScreen which protect your school. You are welcome to add other information to the proforma letter if you would like, for example reassurance on how assessments and gathering information is part of the regular school activity.
We encourage you to provide the letter to parents as soon as possible, giving parents a window of two weeks before you start of your LanguageScreen assessments to notify you of any concerns:
- If parents express concern that they do not wish their child to be assessed using LanguageScreen you should not include the pupil’s data when uploading the class list.
- If a parent wishes for their child to be assessed, but for the data not to be retained by LanguageScreen, then the school can complete the assessments and then later delete the child from the LanguageScreen system.
More information on how your school can manage your pupil data on LanguageScreen to respect parent’s wishes, please see the FAQ - https://support.oxedandassessment.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4408543906321-A-parent-doesn-t-want-their-child-assessed-with-LanguageScreen-what-do-I-do-
If you have any queries related to data protection and LanguageScreen please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org